Tuesday, April 25, 2006

"Will you marry me?"

Last night as I was studying psychology and listening to country songs a VERY random thought popped into my head. When a guy says "Will you marry me?" I think it is very UN-romantic. It reminds me of someone saying "will you pass the salt?" On top of being unromantic it's also very unoriginal. Millions of other guys have used that same phrase. Millions of women have answered "yes" to that very unromantic question. Why do guys bother spending their time planning up romantic ways to propose and then ask in such an unromantic way? Ok, so it's not as bad as a guy saying "Marry me" I think that's just rude;) But I would think they could be a little more original in their asking.
I had a great proposal idea last night but alas, I cannot remember it. If any of you have original and romantic ideas of propsing I'd love to hear them! Maybe some guys will read this post and pick up some ideas ;)

5 comments:

Jessica Morris said...

Paul was original - he asked what I wanted most in the world, and when I said a kiss he kissed me! =) (Which we were waiting to kiss till we were engaged)

Anonymous said...

Are you asking guys to practice their proposals on you? Maybe girls need to practice different ways to accept besides 'yes' 'no' or 'I'm not sure' If they get too fancy with their proposals, the girls won't know for sure what the guys are proposing... good thing Paul did ask Jess to marry him, or they'd still be just kissing...

Shawn Cuthill said...

I took Hayley to an afghan restaurant where we played the "thankful game". It's a game that we play all the time at the dinner table. Basically you go through the alphabet saying things you're thankful for. We got to V and I said "Vacation", Hayley said "what do you mean vacation". I said "Vacation meaning we have to decide where we are going on our honeymoon because W is for "Will you Marry me???"

It was a bit of a spin on the classic way, but still original enough. Must have worked :)

Jessica Morris said...

Awww!! Cute Shawn!!


The problem with Esther's theory is that if men are to get creative in how the question is asked, women then must get creative in how they answer! I bet most women say "yes" - how cliche is that?? Women must then make the guy feel special by answering in a unique way. Maybe "Sure thing dude" ... =)

Essie said...

That's very cute Shawn!
Jessi, I think you are right, i didn't think of that...did you say "Sure thing dude" to Paul? ;)